Thursday, March 28, 2013

Where has country music gone?

Several years ago, listening to Top 40 music, I began to notice that most of the songs I was listening to sounded the same. The songs had the same subject matter. It all seemed artificial. I switched to a new genre of music, or shall I say, switched back to my roots, country music.

I found the songs new, refreshing, and easy to listen to. I loved the story in the songs. I listened with anticipation and found myself wrapped in the arms of the lyrics. I appreciated how special and unique country music was.

As I listen to country music these days, all that made it special and unique, is gone. I feel as though I am listening to pop, rap, or rock music. I really don't want to listen to those genres of music. If I did, I could push a button, change the station, and listen to those genres. It's invading everything I am listening to, and I am not a happy fan!

I listen to 80's and 90's country on XM radio. Last weekend, my favorite station, was polluting the air waves with rock and roll classics thrown into the mix. If I wanted to hear Tom Petty, The Eagles, The Beatles, etc., I would tune into one of those stations.

I get frustrated with that, so I plug my iPhone into my car and play Pandora. As I'm listening to one of my stations (I think it was Little Big Town), Brown Eyed Girl comes on. I hit the "next" button. Then comes Clarence Clearwater with some song. Are you freakin' kidding me? I switched stations. Eric Church was my choice. I listen to a few songs and then "Stand By Me" comes on. Granted, all the songs are good, but I'm totally frustrated because I clearly want country music and I'm getting rock classics. Ugh!!

I switch to the radio. What do I hear? Carrie Underpants singing "Two Black Cadillacs". Switch stations....Jason Aldean's "1994". Banging my head against the steering wheel out of total frustration, I finally grab my Von Cotton CD and put it on.

Is it just me? Has country music become so polluted these days that we don't recognize that we are listening to crap? I realize that music has to evolve, but come on! This watered down version of country music is ridiculous. I would love to hear someone new that can actually have the courage to make country music, the way it is intended.

I am over Taylor Swift and her botching every award show she is on. I am tired of hearing her childish crap on the radio. I am finally done buying anything Jason Aldean makes. I'm really over him rapping. I am becoming irritated with Keith Urban and his electric guitar. Kenny Chesney needs to stop singing about the beach, beer and women (anyone notice more than half his songs are about that?). Tim McGraw should never ever sell out with Taylor Swift again. Carrie Underpants should make the move to pop music.

I want to hear the steel guitar, a banjo, a harmonica. I want to hear some twang. I want to hear more from Jamie Johnson, George Straight, Eric Church (who's pushing the rock envelope - please stop) and the like. Bring back what was unique and special about country music. Bring me back to a time when it felt good to purchase a new album and memorize every song. I can't even think of the last album I bought, it was so long ago. I like listening to the older stuff, but I know all those songs and I'd love to have something new to fall in love with.

If you feel the same way, pass this along, tell your friends and let's do something about it!!


No comments:

Post a Comment