Friday, February 24, 2012

Fundamentals

West Coast Swing was something very new and very different from the way I had already learned to dance. It was difficult for me to wrap my head around the light lead of a good partner. I was used to my bar room partner putting my exactly where he wanted me to go and I was used to that particular style.

I encountered Billy one evening at the bar. I was interested in getting started and we crossed paths. I nearly blurted out that I was eager to learn that style and he was willing to help me along. Of course he was....wink, wink. We talked about what I should do to get started. When that piece of the conversation died down, there seemed nowhere to go but to take a severe left hand turn into another direction. I could tell you now why I decided to do that, but back then, I was perplexed why I wanted the conversation to continue.

We chatted about football. He was a college football guy and I'm an NFL girl. I swear to God, the very first thought I had when I learned that, was "If this leads to anything, we will have a hell of time doing anything on the weekends around both football schedules!" I liked the excitement in his voice and on his face when we talked. He engaged in the conversation as if I was the only person in the room. He had and still has this boyish charm that I'm very drawn to. So when he gave me his email address and asked for mine in return, it was a very non threatening way of starting communication. And no one had done that before, which I found unique.

I have a friend who is a swing dancer and she wanted to learn west coast as well. It all seemed to fit into place with the timing of it, that a west coast swing workshop was coming up. Billy suggested I take it. That I would learn a great deal from it. I had to start somewhere and my friend wanted to get a place in that class. Billy, as experienced as he is in west coast swing, decided to take the beginner's class with us. He said "It's always good to work on the fundamentals at any stage." That might have been the largest load of crap I have ever heard in my life, but I thought it was cute he was being so coy about his attraction to me.

Watching Billy go through the class.....one, two...three and four...five and six...about a thousand times, must have been excruciating for him. But he did it because of me. I don't think I'll ever forget that. That might have been the moment I knew something might happen between us. That's when it started.

We've had our share of ups and downs as any couple has but we keep at it. One, two...three and four...five and six. We talk about everything. And we learn more about the dance of life
as we take the steps together. He taught me a good lesson that day. It's always good to work on your fundamentals, at any stage!


No comments:

Post a Comment